Cardboard.

It occurs to me that for years I have been imagining, rules, scenarios and dice mechanics that I personally would like to have used in games. I just ended up writing those ideas in lost journals or filing them away in the ailing reassesses of my mind. I recently rediscovered a pile of half-finished cardboard game mechanics drawn up largely for the exercise but also to put something mind born into a more tangible form. Cardboard is my go-to design aesthetic. My previous life had been ruled by spreadsheets, so I wanted to avoid resurrecting my digital past. Post corporate life has seen me become a bit of a luddite. Cardboard is readily available, easy to use and safely disposable. At the same time, it is tactile and solid, giving that necessary creative production feel. It's not just for charts and tables but also for terrain pieces in trial. I know people who start game design using just paper, but I feel it shows just that lesser degree of  commitment to solidifying your ambitions.

God Bless Cardboard.

Comments