Tyranid Attack And The Need For Time Travel.

 Back In November 2022 I went on a bit about the wrong turn that was Advanced Space Crusade (1990). It went something like, it's too complex and fun sucking in its released form. Having said that I felt there was still a decent skirmish game at its core. It never got played because of the complex setup and exploration mechanisms. Then I got nostalgic and wished I could go back in time to the early 90's and replay the game with my friend the way we deserved it. Beer and pretzels entertainment. Running around, ducking for cover and blasting each other with a variety of sci fi weapons.

Hard to believe it but I only just discovered Games Workshop's later entry, Tyranid Attack (1992). well not really, there was no internet and unless you went down to a gaming store or subscribed to White Dwarf you didn't hear of these games. In my hometown game shops were like UFO blips on a radar, there one second gone the next.

Nowadays if it exists you can find it. So, looking at items for sale I was quickly able to shut down that avenue of entry (another good reason for time travel, going back to 1990 prices). Instead, I learnt that I am able to convert my existing copy of Advanced Space Crusade by downloading the Tyranid Attack rules and the card PDF's and away I go. I then enjoyed a couple hours solo gaming this little gem. The rules are a very striped down version of the then Games Workshop combat system that was easy to commit to my ageing memory.

Now to go back in time and tell my friend we only have to wait until 1992 to get the game we wanted. Ohh and pick up a few copies to resell at 2024 prices.

Old School Dayglo Action

Add A Few Old School Space Marines


Comments