Something With Dinosaurs Part 2

 In one of those Idle moments I put a T rex on the table, then laid out a bit of tree cover and some basic stone ruins.  I  have been messing about with toy dinosaurs for to long, trying to find some fun and simple way to fight these beasts. In parallel I've read through a ton of rule sets, but apart from my own Dragon Baiting rules, I haven't enjoyed the flow. With these Dragon centric rules I've put my T rex up against various native tribesmen, poachers and big game hunters. The T Rex wins every time. I like to think this was the way it was always going to be. If of course Homo Sapiens and Dinosaurs ever shared the same time and space. But a foregone conclusion is no fun to play.

Here are the problems as I see them.

1) you need to get upfront and personal to penetrate a Dinosaurs hide and a ranged shot in an eye or down the throat is going to be a rare exception when targeting a constantly moving mountain of death. You're also going to need some serious firepower, say something amour piercing or at the least high explosive or in extremis a super high velocity gun. But who is going to bring a rail gun to a Dinosaur hunt?

The answer here I think is in developing rule(s) of Suprise. The ideal being able to stealthily put the figure in a perfect hit position before it’s detected and eaten.

2) My big game hunters and tribesmen, apart from the lack of sporting penetrative weapons are also not psychologically prepared. My own rule set for Dragons takes fear and fortitude very seriously, cowardice takes its rightful place in these extreme situations.

The answer here is to perhaps use the cowardice rules as they are for round one and then using the surviving participants in round two minus the cowardice rules. 

3) My adventurers are part of a Victorian flavoured Land That Time Forgot scenario.

The answer to both one and two is make a time travel scenario with supplementary rules for weaponry, (I've always thought a double-barreled blunderbuss could be useful.) and limitations for time available and altering the past. (Ala the short story, A Sound Of Thunder by Ray Bradbury). Increased firepower could be offset by time on target. For instance a die roll with each attack to see if this action alters the time line. If it does the scenario  immediately ends and for fun a table of effects will show how our present time has been altered. 


Damned Unsporting Beast Won't Stand Still.