Capturing The Look And Feel

 As a huge fan of both Mignola's comics and Del toro's movies I was always going to get behind a Hellboy game if it looked as though being a faithful adaption. We all want more Hellboy right? Let's forget about that soulless reboot movie from 2019 and never speak of it again. Okay now that we are clear it never happened, we can praise the fine work of Mantic in bringing something to life Mignola would be proud of, I think.

"Anyhoo" we certainly got a cracker of a game with the release of Mantic Hellboy the Board Game, and I managed to secure a copy of the game in 2021. The board graphics are cartoony and Mike Mignola's art is on the cards and player boards. What a great atmospheric layout each scenario was. I added a few rocks and pieces of scenery to enhance the Mignola experience and before I knew it, I had played all the scenarios both with 2 players and solo. I was so absorbed in the game that I blitzed my way through it. Due I am sure to some well written scenarios.

At its core it is a Dungeon crawler where you really need to clear a room and prep for the next one. But the encounters and the feeling of impending doom are very palpable. All scenarios felt like a race to the finish line with high stakes. The good news is that that was two years ago so I can play it all again now. One of the perks of being an older board gamer is that memory retention slips and so hopefully when it's on the table next month it will feel as exciting as I think I remember it being. only again? I think..... 

It got my vote then.

A Race To The Finish Line.


Nothing screams Hellboy More Than Lots Of Tentacles


Not An Obsession Just Good Stories.

Comments