Gasland's Revisited.

 Gasland's came as a shock to me. I did not think it was possible to capture a Mad Max type of game without a large amount of complexity. I am alluding here to attempts like Steve Jacksons Car wars and that similar clunker battle cars. Considering the physics involved in a high-speed chase and the collisions I wrote it off as a game idea that I would not be able to convince others to play. I maintained an interest in the idea of a game of motor mayhem for the next few decades but never tried anything myself. Then in late 2020 coming off an exhausting Gloomhaven high I discovered Gasland's.
Not only did the book of rules for post-apocalyptic Vehicular mayhem scratch the old mad max itch but it was also a do-it-yourself game. Only the rules are given and it's up to you to create your own world for it to happen in. Sure, a market thrived for premade battle cars and scenery, but it wasn't necessary. You just grabbed some Hot Wheels cars, lots of six-sided dice, made the move and range templates from the book and away you go. Initially I grabbed a few stones for course markers, later I used scenery from skirmish games. The rules were easy to learn as all the physical characteristics and gun play have been boiled down to a few simple steps. Ok so there is some abstraction, but it does not detract from the pace and fun of the game. I love the way acceleration works and the need to watch your speed for maneuvering. Gasland's is by far the best game of its type to date.

At the beginning of 2023 I find myself experimenting with my own car conversions which is I believe a big part of the Gasland's culture. How about a pulse jet concept car from the 30's with twin 20 mm cannons up front. Great, I know, right!

Action Is The Name Of The Game.

Simple Templates In Use.

Cannons Up Front With Pulse Jet At Rear, How Can I Lose?


Comments