From There To Modernity.

I had thought a great game for the pending holidays would be a replay of 1989’s Heroquest with family and friends. So, I set about rereading the rules. 15 minutes later I was totally conversant. I don’t remember it being that simple. This got me to thinking how much both I and dungeon crawling board games have changed in the past 34 years. I remember Milton Bradley’s Heroquest was good fun and unique for its time as unless you were playing paper and pencil D&D there was no easily accessible mass market alternatives. As pictured, I recently received my copy of Oathsworn and laying these games side by side I started to imagine how worlds apart they are in game mechanics and sophistication. Oathsworn is still in its plastic wrapping and isn’t on my dance card till winter next year, but I am eagerly anticipating it.  Heroquest had been played with a group of friend's midweek as a beer and pretzel type affair after a hard day at the grindstone. We got through 3 campaigns and even managed to convince girlfriends to play. I think my love of dungeon crawlers started here. Conversely Oathsworn will more than likely be played solo as I seem to be the only one willing to make a time commitment to this epic. Upon having a quick run through of Heroquest, I became very disenchanted. I will not be able to bring this to the table with a group of friends as it is too simple and repetitive. The progenitor is now just a gorgeous artefact. 

Unfortunately, There Is No Going Back.
It's Still As Claustrophobic As I Remember It.

Mind You The Furniture Still Gets Used.

Comments