Who-rah, 60 Years And Counting.

Time flies in the whovian universe. My association with Dr Who started when it was just  four years old and I was six. I proudly count myself as one who hid behind the couch. Peering out every now and then to see if the danger had passed and that the Doctor was ok. Patrick Troughton is still a favourite doctor and the first serial I can remember was Evil Of The Daleks, May 1967.  They tell me that to date there are some 871 episodes. Can’t say I’ve seen them all, I lost interest in them after Peter Baker left in 1981. It wasn’t until the episode titled Dalek in April 2005 that I was hooked again.For my generation there was only really two monsters of note, the Cybermen and the Daleks, I trace my monster geekiness to them.

I remember receiving a soft plastic money box in the shape of the Tardis sometime in the late 60’s which I still have today less the money. In 1982 I bought my first Dalek toy and to date I must have over fifty of them in various scales.  No board games ( except that monopoly version) but I do enjoy a couple of skirmish game rule sets. Lots of books and an action figure for every doctor so far. So a lifetime’s casual accumulation.

I no longer hide behind the couch frightened by grainy black and white images that in a lot of cases are lost forever. I no longer hide my geekiness either. Instead I bask in the glory of a 4K giant colour screen with well written and well produced episodes.The excitement’s still there nice to see something iconic grow old and get better as you do.

The Cult Of Skaro Has An Epiphany.
My Doctor Of Choice.

Not An Obsession, Know Your Enemies.

Comments