Cthulhu Death May Die, Tweaking For Solo Play

I couldn't get enough of this game when it came out. It was my cup of tea. To the point where when I couldn't find another player for this game in a reasonable time, I decided to solo it. Now this came with its problems as it's a tough game on those that hesitate. Each action you take counts, so ideally it needs two players strategizing the scenarios. This would make it quickly solvable and to keep its pacing moderate and hence enjoyable. In soloing this game, I lost a lot of my early scenario attempts. For the first scenario Cthulhu was unbeaten 15 times. I am a man about the cosmos, so I don't mind sometimes losing to this unspeakable horror from beyond the vast gulfs of space. But for repeat play throughs though I then mixed and matched the generous number of characters you get for the game. This kept it interesting for both the Eldar Gods and me. 

The answer to a more flowing game as I saw it was to give the two investigator characters 4 actions per turn rather than the three. I then began to win some. Now the game designers are well respected with a list of well-made and received thematic games to their credit. So, I know they would have play tested this to death. (Pun Intended). So is it really that hard a game. Best way to find out was to play it to death.

 Cthulhu and Yog Sothoth sent the most investigators mad. No surprises there. So, with the added action per investigator the gods only won 46.42% of the time whereas they won 100% of the time with the standard 3 actions (in 15 + games initially played). Conversely you could argue that a) the scenarios I later played were of different complexity and b) I played better as I went further in. But statistics aside, I can say resoundingly that the action point change meant the world of difference to my enjoyment of the game.

Meaningless statistic

Comments