Perhaps The World's First Dream Crawler



I don't go into big ticket item games lightly. I watch all the reviews and intro play throughs to get me past the" ohhh shiny "phase of my game infatuations. Once I feel this is the game for me, I listen to everyone's opinions. So Etherfield by Awaken Realms had me split on a decision to commit that lasted for months as about 50% did not like this game because of its perceived structural flaws. The other 50% loved it for its unique theme and its unique play style whilst acknowledging its flaws. I went all in on the wave 2 Kickstarter because right now I need a totally absorbing complicated game. One that is Chaotic and whose flaws and laws I can make work arounds for or just ignore. Basically, embrace the chaos that all the neigh Sayers cant get around in expectation of using clearly defined game mechanics. So I am about 5 hours in and only now completed the first dream. Ok I did spend a few hours understanding the rule book for the basic rules, I also did spend a lot of time setting up the game and familiarizing myself with what went where. But it has been worth it. This game is beautiful in its theme, graphic design and scope. I have already begun to change bits to help me remember where I am from turn to turn because there is a ton of things going on. I have never played a game which at its core is a deck builder. I have never been attracted to card games until now. I have got my existential angst mojo working for me in this beautifully crafted absurd world. This is not my dream I'm crawling through, my demons are different, but this person's dreamscape is such a cool place that I don't think I will be awaking from it for some time. Slumber on.


                        See, I have already changed things, replacing coloured intent markers.

                          

                                                         Setup for a long-haul game.

    I black washed and added basic character colours, I always dream in black and white anyway.        






             




Comments